Fri, 18 December 2015
The gang is ready to talk about the 2002 Disney Sci-fi flick, from the directors Ron Clements and John Musker, 'Treasure Planet!'
- Main Discussion: Treasure Planet (2002)
- Why didn't it do better in the box office?
- Animation Raves "It takes you back"
- Disney Theory: Is Jim a descendant of Tarzan?
- Character designs: Who was more appealing?
- Mini Nerdy Couch Discussion: Should supervising animators get more recognition for animating their characters?
- Sidekick time: Morph vs. B.E.N. Technical nitpicking by Mason. #crazyrobot #theplushtoy
- We're still on 'the gold thing'.
- How does this portal work, exactly? Is it always open?
- The villain countdown
- Voicemail: Sinjon, Jack, Matt, MJ, Rachel, Rei, Vanessa, Mark
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts111 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Tue, 8 December 2015
The animation world has been abuzz since animation legends Don Bluth and Gary Goldman announced they were doing a crowdfunding campaign for a sizzle reel for Dragon's Lair: The Movie. The duo first started on Kickstarter, but recently moved over to Indiegogo last week.
In less than a week, the new Indiegogo campaign has amassed over $200K, reaching 80% of its $240K goal. However, they don't want to stop at $250K, they have a lot of awesome stretch goals, contests, giveaways and more sneak peek's for backers in the the coming weeks.
The Rotoscopers had the opportunity to sit down with Don and Gary to discuss the campaign and film. Check it out in the newest episode of the Animation Addicts Podcast!
- A little bit about Dragon's Lair's history and cult status.
- Why they made the jump from Kickstarter to Indiegogo.
- A little tease at the plot: it's a prequel!
- We all wish Walt Disney happy birthday...in harmony!
- What they're going to do with the money from the campaign.
Support the Campaign
If you are interested supporting the Dragon's Lair: The Movie Indiegogo campaign, click here!
Fri, 4 December 2015
In episode 109 of the Animation Addicts Podcast, the Rotoscopers review Pixar's second feature to be released in 2015, The Good Dinosaur.
- Nerdy Couch Discussion: Why is Pixar held to a higher standard by critics and viewers?
- Main Discussion: The Good Dinosaur (2015)
- Mini discussion about our thoughts on the new short Sanjay's Super Team.
- Better titles for The Good Dinosaur brought to you by Mason Smith!
- The film's troubled production history. To understand the film, you need to understand this.
- Real talk: photo-realistic backgrounds. Did they work?
- Animation: wow, they nailed it!
- Characters: small cast, but lots of favorites!
- Best parts of the film in our opinion: T-Rexes, Arlo and Spot's relationship.
- The story is good, but not necessarily totally original.
- The rotten fruit sequence. Some people think it makes it seem like doing drugs was fun. Agree or disagree?
- Would it have been better for Spot to be domesticated or to run free with his kind? Is there some sort of anti-domestication message going on here?
- Voicemails: Alissa, Gabbi, Rachel, Ryan, Sarah
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts109 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Runtime: 01:54:18, 83.5 MB
Fri, 20 November 2015
The Rotoscopers jump into the world of Charles Schulz for Blue Sky Studios' 2015 animated film The Peanuts Movie.
- Mini Main Discussion: Cosmic Scrat-tastrophe (2015)
- Main Discussion: The Peanuts Movie (2015)
- What we thought about the animation and the translation to CGI.
- The Peanuts Movie is about a small, bald Odysseus.
- A very simple, episode story without hard driving plot.
- Lots of promotion and marketing for this film!
- Were the Red Baron scenes overkill?
- Voiced all by real kids! Except Fifi.
- The IMDB hate filter.
- Favorite scenes?
- Voicemail: Sinjon, Vanessa
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts108 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Runtime: 01:19:24, 58.5 MB
Fri, 6 November 2015
- Main Discussion: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)
- General info and box office results.
- Flint is a great protagonist. Animation style is so unique to Sony.
- Even Sony uses one of the most common animation tropes: the dead parent.
- Sam and her conflict of having to dumb her self down to be accepted.
- Wins the award for "Least Annoying Monkey Character in a Film".
- Great cast of characters: Baby Brent, Mayor, and Earl.
- Tim Lockwood: misunderstood
- The animation marvels that were achieved in this film. The jello!
- The ice cream snow. Much more appetizing than mashed potatoes.
- The ending drags a bit.
- Was there ever any doubt that Flint and Sam would get together?
- Voicemail: Ryan, Mark
- Listener question: What is your favorite quote? Twitter | Facebook
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts107 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Runtime: 01:28:55, 65.5 MB
Wed, 21 October 2015
It's the annual Halloween episode of the Animation Addicts podcast, and even though we're not reviewing a spooky film, the Rotoscopers still got dressed up in their costumes to review Disney's 2002 animated film Lilo & Stitch.
- Main Discussion: Lilo & Stitch (2002)
- It's a special Halloween episode, where the Rotoscopers dressed up in costumes. Mason's No Face costume FTW!
- General facts about the film. 2002 wasn't that great of a year for animation, was it? (Except for a few exceptions.)
- Stitch mania was everywhere! Stitch is incredibly popular in Japan.
- The film's marketing and Stitch-takeover trailers.
- Character designs are so appealing, yet much different from typical Disney animated films.
- Lilo and Nani are the breakout characters!
- Favorite moments, quotes and scenes. “Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw.”
- Film explores the themes of loneliness, broken homes, adoption, and more.
- The music. Not your traditional Disney musical. A few Hawaiian-esque songs plus Elvis Presley.
- Listener question: Who is your favorite character in Lilo & Stitch and why?
- We rate it!
- Voicemails: Adriana, Crystal, Ellen, Gabbi, Mark, Rachel and Sarah
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts106 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Runtime: 01:26:06, 62.2 MB
Direct download: 106_Lilo__Stitch_-_Bait_and_Stitch.mp3
-- posted at: 11:40pm MDT
Fri, 9 October 2015
The Rotoscopers get together for episode 105 of the Animation Addicts Podcast, where we review Sony's 2015 animated film HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2.
- General Info and the review embargo.
- ANIMATION: Even MORE cartoony than the last film! Are we watching Looney Toons?
- COMEDY STYLE: So many one-liners! GAGS UP THE WAZZOOOOO
- "You know who the real monster is… Diabetes!”
- Thoughts on technology prevalence in films.
- The Plot and the Ending. Did they work?
- Obligatory dance party!
- Listener Twitter and Facebook questions.
- Voicemail: Rachel and Sarah
- How long do you wait to see a movie when it comes to theaters?
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts105 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Runtime: 01:18:01, 56.8 MB
Fri, 25 September 2015
- 'Lilo and Stitch' Schedule Change
- Main Discussion: Hotel Transylvania (2012)
- First thoughts of 'Hotel Transylvania'
- World Rabies Day...Are we celebrating rabies?
- Genndy Tartakovsky: Dexter's Lab & Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack film?, panned 'Popeye' film, animation icon, master of timing
- 6 directors for this film
- Animation style of 'Hotel Transylvania': Chuck Jones/Tex Avery... Wait, no live action reference?
- Morgan's Motion Blur rant makes an appearance again in the podcast
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but animated...and w/monsters
- Voice actors: Adam Sandler and phonebook friends, "Happy Madison Gang," Selena Gomez replaces Miley
- Universal monsters fiasco: Why isn't Dracula's cape red on the inside? Why isn't Frankenstein green and where are the bolts in the neck?
- Sony releases free rig for bellhop character
- Are the tables monsters?
- Jonathan respects Dracula instead of rebels
- Other Characters: Werewolf, kids, Mummy, Frankenstein's Bride, Quasimodo
- Have all the voice actors worked with each other?
- Dance party at the end
- Morgan is seeing 'Hotel Transylvania 2' twice
- Ratings, Listener Twitter question
- Voicemail: Sarah
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts104 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Runtime: 01:18:44, 57.3 MB
Fri, 11 September 2015
- Main Discussion: Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
- General info and box office results
- Authentic production design and a "primitive" style adds charm.
- Characters: Who did we like most?
- Why the “Cuss”? - Do you think it’ll catch on?
- THE WOLF - What was that all about?
- Listener Twitter question
- Voicemail: Melissa, MJ, Ryan, and Sarah
Runtime: 1:23:05, 58.8 MB
Fri, 28 August 2015
It's our first episode picked out by one of the awesome Rotoscopers' patrons. RotoNation member Rachel Wagner selected the 2014 Cartoon Network miniseries Over the Garden Wall for this episode of the Animation Addicts Podcast.
- Main Discussion: Over the Garden Wall (2014)
- General background and Cartoon Network info
- Voice Cast: Elijah Wood, Collin Dean, Melanie Lynskey, Christopher Lloyd, and more!
- Fairytale Story line. "How dare they make us think!"
- Art style and Themes
- What is the "Unknown?"
- Voicemails: Rachel, Asja, Sarah
- Don't forget to use the hashtags #AnimAddicts and #AnimAddicts102 when talking about this episode on Twitter!
Runtime: 01:20:51, 59.4 MB